[ntp:hackers] CERT advisory

Brian Utterback Brian.Utterback at Sun.COM
Thu Oct 2 03:12:57 PDT 2003

David L. Mills wrote:

>As verified previously for Solaris (mort and whimsy), I verified for
>SunOS (grundoon) a step change causes timer catatonia. This is a killer
>problem and I'm not sure what to do about it. I think the ball is in
>Brian's court, since his timer system reset seems to be involved.

I submitted a bug and a patch for this two days ago. Bug 203 in
bugzilla.ntp.org.  There was a typo in the section that deals with Linux
which of necessity I was unable to test which was caught by Fred
Bruckman, who issued a new patch.

I contacted Harlenn a week or two ago, because I got spoiled two months
ago when my patches were integrated on the same day they were submitted,
but since August nothing new I have submitted has been integrated. He
told me that this was due to the Bolt and to the cycles he was devoting
to the Roll-out.

I have been content to wait, but this has led to version skew. Fred's
patch will not install on my REPO because he also has submitted changes
that have not been integrated and the common anscestor of both is
somewhere in the PreCambrian.  I have absolutely no idea how to resolve
this or any other conflicts with bitkeeper.  Anytime BK hiccups I
usually end up deleteing the whole tree and checking it out again.

So, I am thinking that perhaps I am out of the loop somehow processwise.
Am I missing something that I should be doing to get this all going
again?  Is there anyway to pick up the changesets before they have been
integrated?  Will Batman and Robin escape from this diabolical trap?
Tune in same BatTime (assuming NTP has set it for you) and same
BatChannel next week for the thrilling conclusion.

blu