[ntp:hackers] Headlights in the tunnel

Richard S. Shuford Richard.Shuford at sun.com
Sat Sep 6 20:19:39 PDT 2003

On Sun, 7 Sep 2003, David L. Mills wrote:

| Brad,
|
| Interesting idea. One of the two fried disks is still under
| warranty, so we sent it back. Interesting thing is whether Sun
| does just the same as you discribed - transplant the controller.
| If that works, the disk we get back may actually still have the
| goodies.

Dr. Mills:

I have no idea what level of support you should expect
from Sun for such a catastrophic disk problem, whether
in warranty or out.  Have you discussed it with
whoever-at-Sun-deals-with-UDel?

When I used to work for another computer vendor, I would
expect that the field-service people would merely ship
you an empty replacement drive, unless you had some
specific understanding about trying to preserve the disk
contents,

 ...RSS