[ntp:hackers] FreeBSD or die

Mark Martinec Mark.Martinec at ijs.si
Thu Dec 16 02:04:39 PST 2004

> Mort was a Linux. I just swept Linux away and sprinkled FreeBSD 5.3 on
> it and am delighted with the results. ...
>
> 1. I need to install PPS stuff. I thought that only required a kernel
> recompile, but I can't find any reference to PPS in the kernel
> configuration file.

To be placed into kernel options file (/usr/src/sys/i386/conf/<host>) :

options         PPS_SYNC
device          pps

(The later enables timepps device /dev/pps0 for a parallel port;
The /dev/pps0 is conveniently named, it actually is a
timepps capture device, but for a parallel port (ppc/ppbus) ).

If some playing with device flags or interrupts is needed, it belongs
to /boot/device.hints, e.g.:

hint.sio.3.at="isa"
hint.sio.3.irq="9"
hint.sio.3.flags="0x...."
hint.ppc.0.at="isa"
hint.ppc.0.irq="7"

Man pages: SIO(4), PPC(4), PPBUS(4)

> 6. I need to use a serial port for the console. I know you can do this,
> just need to fumble around in the faq or whatever.

 /boot/device.hints & man sio:
    Meaning of flags:
           0x00010   device is potential system console
           0x00020   device is forced to become system console

Mark