[ntp:hackers] On converting to FreeBSD servers here

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Wed Dec 22 10:48:22 PST 2004

P-H,

I recall you had problems with power management for your precision time
system and had means to turn it on/off. I assume this is possible
without the fancy drivers; the Intel chipsets come with outrageously
large chipset drivers. I have no idea what those drivers do other than
what the native FreeBSD kernel can wiggle.

I assume Samba works with FreeBSD. I am building a monster archive
machine (0.5 TB) intended as backup/restore should something break on
another machine. What I need is a utility to checkpoint full disk images
across the net for archive. I bet somebody here already does that.

Dave