[ntp:hackers] BitKeeper (was: public server listing)

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.isc.org
Wed Nov 10 06:43:31 PST 2004

"David J Taylor" said:

>Harlan Stenn wrote:
>
>> Should I put up a page on ntp.isc.org that describes the tools we are
>> using and why we are using them?
>
>Yes!

Rather than actually fixing bugs or creating usable documentation?

>The comments made about there being more interest in forcing certain
>tools to be used for version control or documentation,

There are a number of reasons why those who are actually doing the work
choose certain tools. Sometimes it is because a tool provides certain
features (e.g. certain ways of manipulating source code archives which
are only provided by BitKeeper, contributor identification and version
control provided by TWiki) which are considered to be necessary or
desirable. Sometimes there is no substantive difference between tools
and a choice can be legitimately made on personal preference.

>rather than actually fixing bugs or creating usable documentation,

The tools we use were chosen because they _do_ allow us to get the work
done.

>I had a lot of sympathy for the server keeper who wasted an hour trying
>to use the new system to add or update his details!

This was, indeed, an unfortunate sequence of events. However a few facts
should be noted.

1. The "Home Page" of the Time Server Lists web has always _clearly_
stated that Time Server Operators have a choice between managing their
list entries themselves _A*N*D_ submitting their list entries via
e-mail. Most of the new list entries have been created by the time
server operators; only a scant few have been submitted via e-mail.

2. Every page on the Time Server Lists web includes the contact address
webmaster at ntp.isc.org

3. The site includes complete step-by-step instructions for
"self-service" list entry management _and_ e-mail submission. To date,
no one has commented about those instructions or suggested any revisions

4. To the best of my knowledge, only one time server operator has
"wasted an hour trying to use the new system"

5. I first became aware of this individual's predicament when I found
both his complaint to webmaster at ntp.isc.org and his complaint to Dr.
Mills (which was forwarded to this list) in my Inbox _at the same time_.
I was not given a reasonable opportunity to attempt to assist this
individual before he "went up the chain".

BTW, I'm the individual who set up the new server lists. So
your complaints ought to be initially going to me (via the
webmaster at ntp.isc.org address listed at the bottom of every page of the
Time Server Lists web) instead of immediately to Dr. Mills or the world
at large.

I am always receptive to constructive criticism which includes concrete
suggestions about how tools that I have deployed can be improved. Flames
and blanket dismissals, on the other hand, don't help matters any.

Public Key at gopher://kostecke.net or `finger steve at kostecke.net`