[ntp:hackers] Tarballs

Harlan Stenn stenn at www.ntp.org
Sat Apr 2 15:20:09 PST 2005

Dave,

> In answer to a question about multicasting, Harlan advised a newsgroup
> member to obtain the latest tarball, presumably the current ntp-dev
> snapshot, whatever that might be. The current ntp-dev I have here
> doesn't work in broadcast, presumably including multicast. I have
> repeatedly advised that the current ntp-dev is not releasable until the
> broadcast/multicast situation is fixed and until repairs can be made so
> the original Autokey functions are restored. I have had no answers to
> these advisories.

Yes.  And I was not sure if they guy wanted working code or to help
work on code.  In case it was the latter, he would need ntp-dev.

> In order to check if the current snapshot tarball was in fact viable, I
> found no tarballs at the ISC site other than what might be obtainable
> via Bitkeeper. Bitkeeper apparently requires user login, which I will
> not do as defense against identity theft.

Bitkeeper needs an email address for code checkin only.

You do not need to provide an email for anything else.

> I have no answer to my previous post about the viability and
> availability of the latest ntp-dev. It is not releasable and will not be
> until the above problems have been resolved.

I see we are in violent agreement.

> If the tarballs are not
> accessable without requiring login, that is completely unacceptable.

I agree.  No login has ever been required.

> If
> necessary, I will publish tarballs of my own at our UDel archive site. I
> will only do that if I can defend the release as fully functionable.

No reason to spin up, but if you want to publish tarballs you are certainly
free to do so.  Please note that when I roll tarballs I do things like
bump version numbers and stuff like that.  You have wanted to avoid learning
how to do these things, and I would really appreciate your staying with
the status quo.