[ntp:hackers] Problems with gee in FreeBSD on Alpha

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Wed Apr 6 03:34:32 PDT 2005

At 12:53 AM -0400 2005-04-06, Harlan Stenn wrote:

>  Yes, -O2 has known problems on the alpha.

	FreeBSD also has known problems on Alpha.  They dropped Alpha as
a Tier-1 platform a while back, because the hardware was dead-end and
it was getting increasingly difficult to attract and keep enough
hackers that were interested in continuing to try to keep alive a
dead platform.

	SPARC64 (UltraSPARC and UltraSPARC-II) is now a Tier-1 platform
for FreeBSD, but I don't know if that will last for long.  I hope so,
but you never know.

	AMD64 and IA64 are also Tier-1 platforms for FreeBSD, and PowerPC
might be added to that list in the future.

>  We can either use -O instead, or we can (and I plan to) install a newer gcc
>  from the ports tree that we can use.

	If FreeBSD is dropping support for Alpha, I'm not sure how much
we'll be able to do in order to pick up the slack.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755