[ntp:hackers] another case of deselecting local refclock here

gnu not unix gnu at wraith.sf.ca.us
Fri Apr 8 12:43:50 PDT 2005

Hi Folks--

My own modest ntp swamp also has a case where one host with
the ntp-dev latest will select other than the local reference
clock--in my case, I have a fanout box that distributes the
exact same NMEA/PPS GPS signal to my servers. The one host
where I tend to run the latest ntp-dev code will also sometimes
select the other local hosts rather than its local reference
clock. All hosts here are via switched 100meg ether with no
outside (WAN) servers configured. One host does also have
a WWVB clock and a WWV (audio) clock as well.

I'm plotting the error/offsets with RRD--with the fanout box
the performance of the small herd (4 hosts) is usually
within 10 microseconds of each other.  www.wraith.sf.ca.us/ntp/rrd

../Steven