[ntp:hackers] GPS weirdness with ntp-dev-4.2.0a-200503xx

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Mon Apr 18 17:31:55 PDT 2005

Danny,

I don't know when things get done either. Staff told me last week they
would get around to upgrading pogo "some time in the week". Same thing
on my other Sunses, both campus and backroom. There is the announcement,
but there is no set schedule day or time or downtime.

There have been numerous upgrades, equipment replacement, operating
system patches, security changes and lots of other things that are
ordinarily transparent to you guys. This upgrade went normally, but the
staff forgot to reboot pogo's clients and I forgot to install the
timepps.h file.

Solaris 10 has a number of changes that both you and I will stumble
over. One of them automatically restarts a daemon if you kill it, surely
a violation of the Principle of Least Astonishment. Obviously, that is
not compatible with our operations and I will have to turn it off.

Dave