[ntp:hackers] NTP on Alpha

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Tue Apr 19 14:56:25 PDT 2005

At 11:29 PM +0200 2005-04-19, Bjorn Gabrielsson wrote:

>  First try with FreeBSD-5.3. Default installation, added my servers to
>  ntp.conf and ran. NTP would settle for around 5 ppm, but offsets never
>  settled down below 5ms. At start is was wild up around 100ms. Changed
>  counter from 'Alpha' to '8254'. Another freq offset, but time offsets
>  never converged.

	See previous posts on the subject of using FreeBSD on Alpha.  In
short, Alpha is no longer a Tier-1 platform for FreeBSD, and it
continues to decline.  I would not be surprised if FreeBSD removed
all support for Alpha in the near future.

	It was a nice dream while it lasted -- hot hardware with a great
OS.  But that's the way the cookie crumbles.

>  Got Tru64-5.1B loaded. Running with default ntp (4.0.98a) - know its
>  old, but default shippment should work ok at least. Also very slow to
>  correct the initial ca 5ppm freq error. Is now running below 1 ms time
>  offset. Other clients on my network usually do better than 0.1ms.

	You might want to see if you can build the release version of
ntpd-4.2.0, or one of the more recent ntp-dev tarballs for that
platform.  There have been a huge number of improvements that have
been made in the code, and it doesn't really make any sense to be
trying to muck about with something that old unless you have no other
choice.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755