[ntp:hackers] RAID-0 for backup

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Mon Jan 17 20:09:28 PST 2005

Guys,

As the NTP archives, tools and sources here have mushroomed over the
years, my VXA-2  has become too small and too s l o w. So, I brought up
a moderately fast PC with two identical 250-GB drives, intending to run
FreeBSD and RAID-0.First, I brought up FreeBSD with two separate disks
and that worked find. Then, I read the user manual RAID advice, bought a
Promise RAID card, configured, and installed FreeBSD with no problems.
However, the dang thing won't boot. The RAID array comes up in the BIOS
named FariX or something like that; I expected SCSI. Looks like the boot
block got twitched. Do our Freebie gurus on this list have advice?