[ntp:hackers] Munchkin reconfiguration

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Sat Jan 22 20:24:54 PST 2005

Guys,

If you don't use the UDel machines for testing, you can safely skip this
message. All except the part where Windows goes really fast.

Old crow grundoon has a gusted disk and is not likely to be fixed. This
is not because I don't have spares; I've got a dozen in the junkbox.
It's just too much work cloning its twin rackety and reconfiguring the
system. This ends the SunOS 4.1.3 support, at least from here.

I intend to run FreeBSD on the Alphae twins now running Tru64 5.1, as
the HP licensing problems are just not worth the hassle. The older
Alphae twins running 4.1 will spin on. So far as I am concerned, this
ends the Tru 64 5.1 support from here.

My problems with FreeBSD 5.3 seem to have been resolved and I now have
three of the suckers running with ssh, nfs, nis, ntp, samba and amanda.
Two machines howland and mort are junkbox PCs intended for meltdown
testing. The third beauregard is a rather fast and large PC intended as
archive/backup for the other Backroom machines. it is a 2.8-GHz P4 with
512 MB of RAM and 2x250 GB of RAID-0. My personal PC is a 3.4-GHz P4
with 1 GB of RAM and 2x500 GB of RAID-0. Here's the shocker. Using
Win/XP backup I was able to shove some 11 GB over the 100-MB Ethernet
with two copper and one fiber segment in about 21 minutes for a blazing
speed of 60 Mb/s. Windows? Ye godz, I thought nothing went faster than 5
Mb/s on a Windows machine.

The VAX-2 tape is still hooked up and I'll probably trickle stuff to
tape media as backup backup from time to time. Who knows? We might be
hit by lightning. Again.

I haven't gotten around to the PPS driver issue yet.