[ntp:hackers] Standardizing NTP...

Terje Mathisen terje.mathisen at hda.hydro.com
Tue Jun 14 07:49:35 PDT 2005

brian.utterback at sun.com wrote:
> Having just been involved with some issues regarding the NTP license due
> to the OpenSolaris project, I am curious. On what basis do you make the
> claim that the source code cannot be sold? I though that the dispute
> over OpenBSD in May 2003 cleared up that the intent of the license is
> that the permission is given without fee, not that the source code
> cannot be given for a fee.

I have no actual knowledge of whatever kind of license covers the ntpd
source code, I just assumed that Todd couldn't make a legal living out
of selling source code that someone else (say Ulrich, Danny or Dave)
have written and (C) copyrighted, unless they allow him to do so.

I probably shouldn't have mentioned this point, since it was unrelated
to the rest of my msg.

Terje

--
- <Terje.Mathisen at hda.hydro.com>