[ntp:hackers] Broadcast flu

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Thu Sep 22 01:49:24 UTC 2005

David L. Mills wrote:
> Guys,
>
> The flu I reported with broadcast on my Alphae has spread to Solariba.
> On lighting up a broadcast server, an attempt to light up a broadcast
> client fails. This is a showstopper; the self-organizing capability for
> a manycast depends on this, as does the ghetto scheme.
>
> Ghetto scheme? Previously, I mentioned a scheme in which all
> participants broadcast their time to all other participants. All
> participants simply combine what they hear and set the clock
> accordingly. If one or more participants have a reference clock,
> ordinary NTP rules apply. The ghetto rules apply when it dies. Look Ma,
> no local clock driver.
>
> Anyway, before I could test it broadcast/broadcastclient went dark.
>
> Dave

I'll run some tests on bridgeport, but it may be a day or so. Is it
finding the interface for the broadcastclient? Is this only a problem
for a combination of broadcast client and broadcast server. Is this also
a problem for multicast or did you not check that? I may not have tested
the combination together so it may require additional logic.

Dany

Danny