[ntp:hackers] ntp and signalled IO

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Tue Apr 18 17:30:16 UTC 2006

In message <2886.1145380712 at sa.vix.com>, Paul Vixie writes:
>> >that's currently all in how one sets up the callbacks.  priority queuing is
>> >considered an upper level matter.  but i'm willing to add something like
>> >"evPriorityFD(evContext, evFileID, int)" if that's of any use here.
>>
>> I'm simply talking about something as trivial as which file descriptor
>> has the lower integer numer so it gets taken first by select()
>
>evGetNext currently implements descriptor magnitude fairness, in that it
>will remember what descriptor it left off at in the previous fd_mask scan,
>and start there again next time.  are you asking for a global option to
>turn this off and always call select() (never reusing masks between calls
>to evGetNext) and always start from zero?

Well, it's more like whenever select has been called, always handle
any events on this one "hot" filedescriptor first.

But I would propose we table the issue for now.

Most if not all modern systems have other means of timestamping,
and those that do not are unlikely to have high-performance
requirments.

So I would want to focus on getting things working on the modern
OS's and then see how bad things look on the old ones before I
say we should go and do a lot about this particular nit.