[ntp:hackers] NTP and leap-seconds

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Jul 2 07:42:25 UTC 2006

Folks,

I recently had a glitch at 00:00 UTC on 2006 July 01 which I have traced
to a server telling me a leap-second was due when it was not.

  http://www.david-taylor.myby.co.uk/ntp/ntp-events.htm#2006-07-01

Whilst I haven't been able to check which server gave this indication, it
may have been one of the UK pool servers. The glitch I had leads to a
couple of questions:

- is there some sort of sanity check in NTP about leap-seconds, such as
requiring a majority of servers to say that a leap second is due before a
client actually inserts the leap second?

- wouldn't it be helpful if NTP logged which server had told it to make
the leap-second adjustment?  At the moment, all that gets recorded (at
least in the Windows event log) is that fact that the client was told to
insert the leap second and when, but not by whom.

Thanks,
David
Web:  http://www.satsignal.net
Email:  davidtaylor at writeme.com