[ntp:hackers] NTP 4.2.3p7 Released

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Wed Jun 21 19:16:20 UTC 2006

ISC,

I am told the I/O library included in the latest distribution may not be
freely available for derived works, as for example in several products
now on the market. My intent has always been that the entire
distribution is available free of charge and free of restrictions on
derived works. I violently object if NTP turns into something like the
gated or bind consortium. I assume the terms and conditions of any
library, package or addon that appears in the distribution conform in
spirit to the blanket copyright notics. If this is not the case, hold
the train.

As long as the distribution has the University of Delaware name on it
and is the "official" source, it cannot contain any file or library that
cannot be distributed consistent with the blanket copyright statement;
otherwise, it must be removed. I have received offers in the past to
include proprietary drivers for some products with the implication they
could not be used in derived products and I have refused to do so. The
most recent case where this happened was with the TrueTime 560 PCI card
driver.

This issue came up with the ISC event library and, when it was explained
to me, I elected not to use that. I hope this is not the case with the
I/O library.