[ntp:hackers] lobopts

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.isc.org
Wed Jun 28 16:46:48 UTC 2006

Dave,

> This is probably my fault for not watching more closely.

I have been telling folks about this for probably a year or so.

> I just discovered libopt, which is included in the distribution. I have
> no idea whether it is compatible with all the various systems that the
> autoconfigure scripts deal with, but I assume it is friendly with VAX
> and Windows at least.

We know about some problems on Windows and they are being addressed.  I
have not heard about problems on VAX; if there are problems nobody has
said anything.

> At the moment, a make install fails on deacon due apparently to a
> problem with libopt being installed in /usr/local/lib. If this library
> is used only with ntpd (and apparently in sntp, as it appears twice), I
> prefer it not be installed in my local files. I want nothing installed
> in my local files that I do not explicitly permit. A make install should
> only install the ntpd and associates.

This might be due to libopts being built/used as a dynamic library.

One can specify that the library is built static.

I'll put more thought into this.

> The make install that did succeed displayed comments about libtool that
> would be very troubling for a green user. I am not green, but I have no
> idea what those comments have to do or whether I should worry about it
> or what I should do if what needs. This is not helpful.

libtool is used by *many* projects and I would be very surprised to
learn that anybody with a modicum of experience installing free software
has not seen libtool in use before.

More importantly, this code is in -dev and people are starting to test
and use it - if somebody has a problem we'll learn about it and fix it.