[ntp:hackers] lobopts

todd glassey todd.glassey at worldnet.att.net
Wed Jun 28 22:41:12 UTC 2006

Harlan/David
----- Original Message -----
From: "David L. Mills" <mills at udel.edu>
To: <hackers at ntp.org>
Sent: Wednesday, June 28, 2006 2:52 PM
Subject: Re: [ntp:hackers] lobopts

> Harlan,
>
> As usual, I have more than a little irritation about this. The libopt is
> not in vanilla FreeBSD or Solaris; it is compiled and installed by the
> NTP build.

It's a real easy fix...So then the problem is that the Autogen Scripts dont
do something like a

IF [-f /usr/local/lib/libopt] THEN
    LIBOPTPATH=/usr/local/lib/libopt
    ELSE LIBOPTPATH=/usr/lib/libopt;
ENDIF;

> You might have been talking about this for a year, but I
> didn't realize the library is installed on the machine after linking the
> executable. I don't like folks leaving things behind that might do
> something unexpected during operation, especially if it might conflict
> with something else. I assume it's left there for dynamic linking. If
> so, the default case should be static linking and an explicit option
> included for dynamic linking with warning that this will install libopt.
> This way the casual user like me doesn't get startled.

Actually the NTP port installer should check to see if LIBOPT is already
installed before doing anything and if it is, then the installer can deal
with whether it can use the installed copy and set the paths properly; and
also to allow the user to specify the static linkage use of the NTP kit's.

..."it" the installation scripts also should deal with dynamic versus static
linkages against either of the selected libraries .

> The commentary during installation is really confusing to ignorant folks
> like me.

It can be cleaned up and made more readable for human readers.

> I don't want to know anything about libopt, libtool if all I
> need is build and install the thing.

> You say everybody in the developer
> corps knows all about these things. I'm not a developer in your sense;
> none of my students nor I can come even close to underanding the
> configure and build scripts.

Then lets unbundle these from your responsibilities. BTW - The scripting is
not that difficult when you get used to it.