[ntp:hackers] Asynch resolver

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Fri May 5 18:15:15 UTC 2006

Guys,

Sachin is about to tear up the resolver. We have talked about that for
literally several years without a volunteer actually doing it. The goal
is to be able to resolve a DNS name on-fly and update the syntax tree
constructed by the parser, possibly at run time. The approach is to fork
a process when a name pops up and terminate it when no names are left in
the tree. The problem of course is how to communicate between the forker
and forkee. Right now this is done using a temporary file, and that
sucks. Various kinds of I/O pipes, etc., are also possible but equally
sucks.

There is precedent in using shared memory for this; at least one of the
drivers does that. My question is whether this is a universal paradigm.
Does it work in Windows? Is there plausible commonality over Solaris,
Linux and FreeBSD? Lightwave threads have been proposed. Same questions.