[ntp:hackers] Cool new stuff

Brian Utterback brian.utterback at sun.com
Tue Oct 24 06:06:24 PDT 2006

Back in July, Dave announced a bunch of "Cool new stuff", and I
was wondering if it is available for testing yet. Maybe it was
already available and I missed the link.

The reason I ask is that Rainer and I are working on the NTPv4
port to OpenSolaris (albeit slowly; It's not really our day jobs)
and it would behoove us to use the latest and greatest, particularly
if there are non-backwards compatible changes afoot. In fact, the
change to the meaning of one of the restrict clauses is made worse (not
better) by the fact that all of the rest of the changes are backwards
compatible. That is, for the most part the ntp.conf file from a
V3 client/server will work unchanged on V4. Except that the semantics
of that one restrict clause means that you will get a different security
policy than the one you thought.

So, if the new configuration stuff is totally non-compatible, we can
easily document that and detect if we are looking at a v3 or v4
config file, so that we know which semantics are being requested.

Well, anyway, is the new stuff around for testing?

--
blu

"The genius of you Americans is that you never make clear-cut stupid
  moves, only complicated stupid moves which make us wonder at the
  possibility that there may be something to them which we are missing."
  - Gamal Abdel Nasser