[ntp:hackers] Broadcast/multicast commands

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.isc.org
Fri Dec 7 04:25:00 GMT 2007

Dave,

You cannot obsolete the multicastclient option. That option takes a
multicast address while broadcastclient does not. Even worse, for
multicast you need to deal with both IPv4 and IPv6 multicast addresses.
The novolley parameter happens to be a strange one since it can be any
argument that uses novolley. You will break a lot of operating ntpd
servers if you do this.

In short, this won't work. You are *not* dealing with a single address
and you *must* specify it and configure to a specific multicast address
when setting up multicast.

Danny