[ntp:hackers] ntp ipv6 windows

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.isc.org
Tue Dec 18 22:03:49 UTC 2007

Yackey_Steve at emc.com wrote:

>> Hi All,
>>
>> I have used and abused ntp for a fair amount of time and am not
>> unfamiliar, but do not claim to be an expert either.
>>
>> I've used the ipv4 only capabilities up to this time; no dns just ipv4
>> addresses.
>> I'm wanting to move on to a more modern dns ipv4/ipv6 world.
>>
>> I am investigating how to make that move.
>>
>> I have:
>> * NTP 4.2.5 p106
>> * Win32 (same results with XPSP1 and 2k03 Server)
>>
>> I cannot seem to get an ipv6 'connection' to work; and would appreciate
>> any help.
>> (even if its a note saying it doesn't work yet :))
>>
>> Basically, I've gotten past what I perceive to be the bug in try_proto
>> where getsockname fails, and therefore ntpd declared 'no ipv6 interfaces
>> found'.
>>
>> When I specify a server address in the conf file as an ipv6 address,
>> basically nothing happens - no traffic emitted.
>>
>> Does/has/can anyone,
>> * actually gotten ntp via ipv6 to work on a windows box
>> * can you send me a sample conf file
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Steve

Steve,

The interface enumeration code isn't there yet for IPv6. I started to do
the work on this but microsoft makes this more difficult than for IPv4
to enumerate so it's been held up by my lack of time to concentrate on
it. The main issue right now relates to needing a number of flags that
get used by NTP. Once this is working I will turn on IPv6 inside of the
windows version of ntp. Note that I probably will only support XP and
later. Windows 2000 and earlier would not be supported.

If you have a business reason to get this done sooner please contact me
directly and I will see what I can do.

Danny