[ntp:hackers] FreeBSD and serial port cards

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.isc.org
Thu Feb 22 01:16:16 PST 2007

Hi John,

> On Thu, Feb 22, 2007 at 06:45:11AM +0000, Harlan Stenn wrote:
> > I'm not seeing *any* data when I 'cu' to the PCI port when the port is
> > connected to one of the refclock sources I mentioned.
> >
> > I do see data when I cu to one of the refclock sources to the mobo
> > serial port.
> >
> > However I can send/receive I/O using cu on the PCI ports when I just
> > connect to a getty.

> Can you cu between a PCI port and a motherboard one? Just to make sure
> there isn't a baud rate problem. Some of the PCI serial cards use
> faster clocks to be able to do higher baud rates. Normally that is
> handled in the data structure in the sys/dev/puc/pucdata.c file, but
> maybe there is a mistake for that particular card.

I'm happy to give it a shot, and I would think that with an /etc/ttys
entry spawning a getty at 9600 baud on one of the PCI card's ports and
with cu's default connect speed of 9600 baud on another of the PCI
card's ports and this combination working it would be something else,
right?

In my particular case I have one refclock sending data at 9600 baud and
another at 19200.