[ntp:hackers] OpenSSL directory search order

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.org
Tue Nov 6 19:01:13 UTC 2007

Folks,

Right now configure looks for the openssl libraries in the following
default order:

 /usr/lib /usr/lib/openssl /usr/sfw/lib /usr/local/lib /usr/local/ssl/lib

I'm thinking that there may be Value in inverting the search order.

(Similarly for the OpenSSL header files.)

I'm thinking this because I want to install and test the latest openssl
code on a Solaris box, and it will be easier on me if I can just install
the latest OpenSSL code in /usr/local and run configure with no options.

The point is that if somebody goes to the trouble to install code in
/usr/local they probably want to use it in preference to the stock code.

What do folks think?