[ntp:hackers] port ntpd version 4 to vxWorks

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.org
Thu Nov 8 18:48:35 UTC 2007

Prathap,

>   Thanks for your time and inputs. Yeah, I totally agree with you.
> Maintaining a separate build framework means that duplication of work
> everytime something gets updated in configure. But it also proves to be
> helpful where we do not have enough support from autotools.

In what case does this happen?  Running 'configure' is pretty much the
normal way of building Tons of software, and having maintained the
'guts' of both configure-based and other ways of handling this process,
it has been my experience that *if* running 'configure' is a viable
option it is pretty easy to get it to do what is needed, even for
special cases.

> Also I believe
> current make depends on tools like autogen, which brings in further
> dependencies.

No, only if you want to mess with the options processing.

> Also there are many times where people want to compile only
> specific units of the system, like only ntpd or ntpdate, etc. So is there a
> way to instruct configure or from the Makefiles generated to make specific
> packages? I will definitely let you know about the progress I make.

You can certainly write a script that will only build the specific
tools.  For example, to only build ntpd after configure has been run,
just run individual 'make's in the libopts, libntp, and ntpd subdirs
(near as I can remember).

You know that ntpdate is being deprecated, right?

> Danny&Martin,
>   In case if you are listening to this thread, it will be great if you can
> share the other build framework that you are maintaining. I will be happy to
> contribute to it!

It is in the ports/winnt/ subdir.