[ntp:hackers] "Vote To Eliminate Leap Seconds" (slashdot)

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Wed Nov 21 16:34:05 GMT 2007

In message <20071121.092625.-1827344399.imp at bsdimp.com>, "M. Warner Losh" write
s:
>In message: <47445469.2090508 at ntp.isc.org>
>            Danny Mayer <mayer at ntp.isc.org> writes:
>: I remember some discussion on this at the time but I cannot find
>: additional information. I assume that this means that the proposal
>: didn't just die as it should have and we now have people who know
>: nothing about it get to vote on something that they never notice.
>
>Given the reaction last time, I suspect that it will never pass 70% of
>the countries...

That's supposing that the voting process is like a normal voting
process.  From what I've heard that is not the case, a majority of
countries have no official opinion on most of the votes being cast,
and trusts the working groups to have done their work properly,
in essence voting yes by default policy.