[ntp:hackers] Summer projects - orphan mode

Serge Bets serge.bets at laposte.net
Wed Oct 31 10:28:02 UTC 2007

Hello David,

 On Tuesday, October 30, 2007 at 17:43:25 +0000, David L. Mills wrote:

> The only question is whether a host has a valid time source and valid
> interval until the next leap.

Exactly: The isolated orphan parent has no valid time source. His only
time sources are the orphan children he eventually is peering with. This
causes the beginning of the described problem: The parent does not set
the TAI offset, and does not leap.

> There might be a provlem if OpenSSL is provisioned and Autokey is not
> in use at the time of leap. Is this the problem?

I don't think so: The problem seems independant of crypto, giving the
same symptoms with -A, symetric keys, and autokey.

Serge.