[ntp:hackers] More on gcc

Frank Kardel kardel at ntp.org
Tue Sep 18 05:19:32 UTC 2007

Harlan Stenn wrote:
> Dave,
>

>> We stoked pogo with gcc4, built and tested. Same results; it dumped in
>> malloc after a long spiral of death.
>>

> Then I'm still interested in waiting to see what Brian says and I gotta
> wonder if this is a problem with how a library was compiled as opposed
> to how the code is  compiled.
>

>> The gcc4 really picky about prototypes; it spewed a blizzard about
>> openssl headers. I carefully checked these were the only plaints.
>>

> It will do that - Frank has sent in a bunch of patches about cleaning
> these warnings.

I can provide more patches. I had to fix quite a bit to get it to
compile cleanly on
NetBSD-current which is using gcc 4.1.3.
Most trouble is in the libopts package. Maybe Bruce should have a look
in that
too.
Harlan start with what you have and then I have a look again.
> And what version of openssl are you using on pogo?  I think there may be
> older versions on pogo - I would love to see 0.9.8e installed and
> running on the machines.
>

>> On pogo starting from scratch it took over 14 minutes to run the
>> configure scripts and just over 13 minutes to make all progams in the
>> distribution.
>>

> Where are you building on pogo?  I'd like to take a look, as I'm not
> seeing the 14 minute configure times there that you are seeing.

I think 14 minutes is what I waited on pogo.

Frank