[ntp:hackers] Is this normal?

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Tue May 6 04:04:19 UTC 2008

What OS are you using?

Recent Linux/Intel kernels have a bug in the calibration routine for the TSC
timer.  It's close, but turns into noise on the drift each time you reboot.
I've seen spreads of 100 ppm.  It depends upon how lucky you are.

The net result is a startup transient that could easily match your
description.  That's after a reboot.  Just restarting ntpd doesn't have any
problems.

Unless there is a clock geek in house, most people won't notice.