[ntp:hackers] [Fwd: Re: Quote for No Product selected! from Hal Dell (hdell at epodworks.net)]

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Mon Sep 22 15:18:52 UTC 2008

Hi all,

I have received the comment below from a user of the NTP time server
monitor program for Windows:

At 02:18 PM 9/21/2008 -0500, hdell at epodworks.net wrote:
> Message: Also, for windows it would be very very helpful if NTP used
> .loopstats as the file extension rather then the date. In this way I
> could assign a default program to view loopstats (usually
> notepad.exe). However, with the date as the extensions this can\'t be
> done! Of course this means changing the monitor program too.

Windows determines file types (text vs. binary) by the file extension
only, and you can only configure that files with a certain extension
should be open by certain application.

Since the default extension of the loopstats file is the current date
the extension varies from one day to the next, which makes it difficult
to assign a program to that sort of files.

A different approach would be to add an additional file extension, e.g.
"name them loopstats.20080922.txt" under Windows only, which would
automatically make the standard Windows text editor program the default
program to open these files.

Any comments?

Martin
--