[ntp:hackers] [Fwd: Re: Quote for No Product selected! from Hal Dell (hdell at epodworks.net)]

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Sep 23 10:07:17 UTC 2008

Martin Burnicki wrote:
[]
> So the basic question is whether we should simply use the .txt
> extension (which is also my preferred solution), or use an individual
> extension like .ntp_log or so.
>
> If we use the .txt extension then these files will automatically be
> opend by the preferred text editor, e.g. notepad. Since the files are
> indeed just another set of text files this should be fine.
> Resulting filenames would look like e.g.: loopstats.20080923.txt
>
> If we use an extension like .ntp_log then we must register a default
> application for these file types. Of course this can simply be done by
> the installer. However, what is the benefit of using an individual
> application?
>
> There would be a benefit if we had an individual application which
> could be started to read and display those log files. However, I'm
> not aware of any. In most cases you just want to have a quick look
> using a text editor.
>
> BTW, should the new extension also be appended to the current log
> files, e.g. loopstats.txt or loopstats.ntp_log rather than just
> loopstats?
[]
> Martin

Martin,

Do whatever makes it simpler for the user - .txt rather than .ntp_log
would probably be best for the end users.  Make it so for the current log
files as well.

Your own NTP Monitor is perhaps, for Windows users, closest to the
individual application they might use to view the data.

Cheers,
David
Web:  http://www.satsignal.eu
Email:  davidtaylor at writeme.com