[ntp:hackers] NTP and Windows Vista & Windows-7 - server timestamps

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Dec 11 14:54:12 UTC 2009

From: "Brian Utterback" <>
[]
> Does Vista/W7 support something like SO_TIMESTAMP? That could cause
> different types of clocks to be used, I suppose. Otherwise I would
> think that the same calls would be used at rec and tran times.

I don't know, Brian.  Dave Hart is close to the Windows NTP code and you
know how the time was derived.  I find C very difficult to read.

> Another possibility would be if the clock was stepped while the packet
> is being processed. Could a clock step be delayed somehow on V/W7?

I'm not clear how that could cause the server-RX time to be greater than
the server-TX time.

> I would suggest trying to capture the packets using something like
> wireshark to eliminate any possibility of a bug in the test program.

I'm not into wireshark, either.  I can make the program available to
anyone who wants to try it.  I'm moderately confident in the test program
as Windows-2000 and Windows-XP servers behave just as expected.

Cheers,
David
Web:  www.satsignal.eu
Email:  davidtaylor at writeme.com