[ntp:hackers] On orphans, provenance and local clocks

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Thu Dec 24 18:31:53 UTC 2009

davehart at gmail.com said:
> This is prototyped as a new -w/--wait-sync option to ntpd, so that for
> example -w99 would cause the invoking script to pause until the clock
> is first sync'ed, but no more than 99 seconds.

I like it.  Thanks.

That brings up another worm for this can.  What return codes does/should ntpd
return?

My straw man would be a bunch of bits OR-ed together:
  1 error in command line or config file
  2 DNS lookup for some host names deferred
  4 not synced after wait-sync

I assume that "cause the invoking script to pause" really means the main
(non-forked) process to pause until the worker (forked) process has indicated
that it is synced.