[ntp:hackers] Samba's MS-NTP implementation

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.org
Mon Jul 13 12:22:30 UTC 2009

Olaf Fraczyk wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-07-12 at 22:49 -0400, Danny Mayer wrote:
>> Andrew Bartlett wrote:
>>> I'm confused.  What is the third system in this case?
>>>
>>> Andrew Bartlett
>>>
>> The Samba Server.
>
> Is it only me that has a feeling that he lives in a different
> reality? :)
>
> This is about interaction between samba and ntpd. So a computer with
> samba and ntpd installed can act as AD controller and provide signed
> timestamp for windows users.
> How do you want to do it without involving samba in ??? ;)

If this is for Samba only, then it should only be turned on on the box
where Samba is running. This also means that we have a point solution
for Samba only. The real world runs Microsoft's Active Directory and for
that matter Kerberos and we should also be supporting those servers. NTP
isn't only for Samba.

Danny

believed to be clean.