[ntp:hackers] gorilla wrangler with Unix chops soliticited

Dave Hart davehart at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 14:48:50 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 11:42 AM, Danny Mayer <mayer at ntp.org> wrote:
> Dave Hart wrote:
>> I'm still hoping for some help on the Unix side.  On the plus side, a
>> lingering ntpd on the previously mentioned system where i have sudo
>> ntpd privs but not root has been cleaned up, so I should be able to
>> bumble ahead myself.
>
> We will see what I find.
>
> Danny

Thanks for the offer.  Happily, the cleaned-up code worked on the
first try on Unix, though I had to correct some return codes to fix
spurious complaints.  Currently there's no code to get rid of the
child process when there's no more DNS resolution, but the idea is it
will be useful for any blocking service and not just at startup.  The
child is forked before we open sockets currently, though if there's
demand it could be forked on demand as ntp_intres currently is.

Cheers,
Dave Hart