[ntp:hackers] GSOC: Logging requests/suggestions

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Wed Jun 24 23:26:36 UTC 2009

I use a separate log file for stuff from ntpd.
  logfile /var/log/ntpd.log
I'd like the filegen stuff to work on that and/or for ntpd to cooperate with
logrotate.

I'd like the start/stop messages to be duplicated in the normal syslog and
the log file.  In particular the startup message has the version info.

Actually, there is probably a whole set of "stop" messages that should be
duplicated.  I'm thinking of the fatal errors that crash the system.

There is a startup transient.  Logging goes to syslog until it reads enough
of the config file to find the logfile command.  Here is a sample:
  ntpd 4.2.5p183 at 1.1639 Tue Jun 23 21:07:11 UTC 2009 (79)
  proto: precision = 0.927 usec
  Listening on interface #0 wildcard, 0.0.0.0#123 Disabled
  Listening on interface #1 lo, 127.0.0.1#123 Enabled
  Listening on interface #2 eth0, 192.168.1.5#123 Enabled
  Listening on routing socket on fd #19 for interface updates
  logging to file /var/log/ntpd.log

I'd like all but the first and last lines moved to the logfile.  That is the
only thing that should show up in syslog would be:
  start (with version info)
  logging to ...
  stop

The command line should probably get logged.  Maybe the contents of the
config file too, as they are parsed.

When DNS names are used, it might be handy to log the IP Addreses they
resolve to.