[ntp:hackers] A long time coming: NTPv4 in Open Solaris.

tglassey tglassey at glassey.com
Thu May 21 21:52:44 UTC 2009

Martin Burnicki wrote:
> Brian,
>
> Brian Utterback:
>
>> I just integrated NTP 4.2.5p172 into the Open Solaris codebase this
>> morning and removed version 3. It's been a long time coming (2 years!)
>> but I finally got it done. This build won't hit the streets for about
>> 4 weeks yet. I can hardly wait.
>>

> IMHO it's kind of strange NTPv4 has not been shipped with Solaris for years
> because NTPv4 had not been standardized (e.g. as RFC), but right now a -dev
> version rather than the -stable is going to be released for Solaris ...

Martin the IETF is a trailing edge standards process so that v4 has not
been standardized in their arena is no big deal.  In fact since the
IETF's panacea about consensus is what it is - v4 potentially could come
to never be standardized since even when completed the IESG could tell
us all to get stuffed. The real issue is why there still is no
performance metrics and test specification for what a "port" is and how
it works, since without those it cannot be inducted properly into the
Audit community.

Todd Glassey