[ntp:hackers] How many servers for a pool config line?

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Nov 12 08:07:39 UTC 2009

From: "Hal Murray" <>
[]
> What we probably want is something like:
>  tos totalpoolservers xxx
>  pool a.pool.example.com
>  pool a.pool.example.net
>
> Where it would try to get a total of xxx pool servers using whichever
> names
> respond first.
>

> If you think diversity is good, something like:
>  tos totalpoolservers 6
>  pool a.pool.example.com maxservers 2
>  pool a.pool.example.net maxservers 2
>  pool b.pool.example.com maxservers 2
>  pool b.pool.example.net maxservers 2
> might help avoid putting too many eggs in one basket.
>
> All that seems like overkill.  If it's that important, you are probably
> willing to specify the servers by hand.
>
> But maybe there will be more than one pool someday.

There are already regional pools.

What about multiple pools on the one line, such as:

  pool  uk.pool.ntp.org  eu.pool.ntp.org

  pool  uk.pool.ntp.org  eu.pool.ntp.org  maxservers 7

where the default for maxservers is 5?  I think that this type of client
configuration should be very simple, and not need multiple configuration
lines.

Cheers,
David