[ntp:hackers] fork, vfork, and pthreads

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Fri Oct 30 01:38:30 UTC 2009

reg at dwf.com said:
> Although my system compiles all the things that have been added
> recently, I am morally against the swiss-army-knife approach that has
> driven ntp development of late.  I strongly agree with the above
> ability to be able to de-config these additions, and would prefer to
> see them set to 'off' in the default configure.

I assume the default settings will be set by majority vote and/or listening
to the squeaky wheels.  (Vote early, vote often...)

Or whomever offers Harlan the best bribe...
  http://ntpforum.isc.org/bin/view/Main/WebHome

The other catch is that most people will use whatever their
vendor/distribution offers as a binary package without bothering to compile
their own.

> I dont need this stuff to remotely cofigure my ntp, its right here in
> front of  me. I dont need crypto (I have a firewall I trust). And Im
> sure that there are a lot of other things I could do without.

We probably need a good wiki page on how to make a smaller or minimal system.

Does it exist already?  I didn't find one.  If you were looking for that
page, what would you search on?

Some of those ideas are there already as arguments to the configure script:
  --disable-ipv6
  --without-crypto
  --disable-all-clocks  (all refclocks)
  --enable-debugging=no (I think)

You can get a long list of available options with minimal comments from:
  ./configure --help

Maybe configure should have a --minimal option to turn off all the options
that you can do without.

Are you compiling your own system anyway?  Would you object if you had to
turn a feature or two back on at configure time?  (I use a configure.xxx
script to configure for a particular system.  It just says ./configure
--whatever, that is it's a placeholder for the options I want to add or
delete from the default setup.)