[ntp:hackers] 4.2.5p212 has the new 'interface' commands

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.org
Wed Sep 16 05:08:11 UTC 2009

Folks,

We have an implementation of a new conffiguration command in 4.2.5p212.

I'd appreciate folks checking it out and filing bug reports (if needed)
and offering feedback, in general.

The documentation for these commands is in the html/ subdirectory (in
places like html/miscopt.html#interface).

With no 'interface' option in the config file, ntpd behaves as it always
did.

You can now say things like:

 nic ignore all
 nic listen 1.2.3.4
 nic listen 2.3.4.5

('nic' is an alias for 'interface' and I prefer typing less) which means
"Listen on IPs 1.2.3.4 and 2.3.4.5, and ignore (as in "do not open")
anything else.

The 'verbs' are 'listen', 'drop', and 'ignore'.

At the moment, the -I and -L command-line options do what they
originally intended, and I am inclined to deprecate them both.  If
somebody can come up with a decent syntax to implement the functionality
of the new mechanism I'll consider adding that in.  I suspect that it
may be too complicated to implement the full 'interface' functionality
on the command-line.

Please note that "nic listen all" is the equivalent of a "flush"
command.

Finally, I think we are fast approaching the point where we can start to
develop some test cases for NTP and build a test suite.  If anybody is
interested in working on this please let me know.

--
Harlan Stenn <stenn at ntp.org>
http://ntpforum.isc.org  - be a member!