[ntp:hackers] Later ntp drops logging the initial drift

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Dec 17 14:27:15 UTC 2011

Folks,

I have noted that the logging of the initial drift value in ntp.4.2.4 -
messages like:

  "frequency initialized 0.423 PPM from C:\Tools\NTP\etc\ntp.drift"

have been dropped from later versions of ntp (4.2.7 tested).  I don't
recall the users being asked whether they wanted this change, and it is a
change which now requires more effort when debugging NTP as the
information you need is no longer in one place.

To me this is a bug, but I am advised that it is "a deliberate and
intentional change" when I logged it as a bug.  It has been suggested that
I get /all/ messages recorded in the Event Log, but this is not a
solution.

I am disappointed that this helpful information has been removed from the
routine NTP logging, and think that this change should be backed out, at
least to record initial drift.

Cheers,
David