[ntp:hackers] Will ntp.org consider accepting a rewrite of ntptrace in C (for unix)?

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.org
Tue Jul 26 15:06:17 UTC 2011

On 7/25/2011 9:07 AM, Regid Ichira wrote:
> According to the 1998 README, there should be a dedicated directory
containing the ntptrace source. From which I conclude that ntptrace was
intended to be written in C. Now days, ntptrace is a perl script. It is
in the scripts directory, and there is no dedicated ntptrace directory.
> Are there subtle reasons for having ntptrace in perl, rather then C?
That is, other then, perhaps, someone to write it in C? Will ntp.org
consider accepting a rewrite of ntptrace in C (for unix)?

Yes, of course. The reason for preferring Perl over C is that it is O/S
independent. It has to be able to run on Windows for example not just
Unix and some strange O/S flavors. Keeping it in Perl pushes off the
dependencies into the Perl development rather than ours.

Danny