[ntp:hackers] Fwd: Video Frame Rate Ref Clock

houston.jim at comcast.net houston.jim at comcast.net
Thu Dec 13 23:29:39 UTC 2012

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: "houston jim" <houston.jim at comcast.net>
To: "Hal Murray" <hmurray at megapathdsl.net>
Cc: hackers at lists.ntp.org, OnePV1D at gmail.com
Sent: Thursday, December 13, 2012 6:22:08 PM
Subject: Re: [ntp:hackers] Video Frame Rate Ref Clock

> > I am looking for a Ref Clock that uses video I/O card frame rate.
> > Any idea if such a thing exists?
>
> > Our broadcast equipment all have GPS accurate video frame rates and
> > this so
> > using the frame rate seem like a logical source clock for NTP.
>
> You need time as well as a stable frequency.
>
> Is there a timestamp in one of the refresh slots? I did a quick google
> and didn't find anything.

Hi Everyone,

I expect that it would be a SMPTE timecode.  I found this mentioned on
Wikipedia.  Maybe Bart will describe the video standard being used and
we can check what it supports.

I would be worried that the time code might have the time from when the
video was created rather than the current time.

Jim Houston