[ntp:hackers] Leap second list file

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Jan 16 10:31:23 UTC 2012

> But this information flows from the stratum-1 NTP servers
> downwards via the synchronization chain, yes?  So what if I
> manage a number of PPS-controlled stratum-1 NTP servers?  I
> suspect the answer then is "You need to configure the leap
> seconds file on your stratum-1 NTP servers" -- correct?
[]
> Regards,
>
> - Håvard

Good question, Håvard.  I have a FreeBSD 8.0 server installed in March
2010, and never touched for any sort of maintenance since.  It's been
sitting there running without any problems for the last 458 days (time
since last power cut).  Do I need to do anything to that server?  It does
have Internet connections to pool servers.

Checking for 31 Dec 2008, the FreeBSD 5.4 server I had then seems to have
not needed any special attention.  It was running NTP 4.2.0-a (Mat 08
2005) at the time.  Perhaps the GPS sending out either the 59s (or the 0s,
depending on which GPS message) twice resolved the issue?  I seem to have
some notes at the time:

  http://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/ntp-events.htm

The other stratum-1 servers I have are all based on Windows, which I know
does not use that file.  Those servers also have Internet connections.

Thanks,
David
Web:  http://www.satsignal.eu
Email:  david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk