[ntp:hackers] Correctly detecting interfaces

Brian Utterback brian.utterback at oracle.com
Sat Jul 13 00:12:40 UTC 2013

On 07/12/13 14:40, Hal Murray wrote:
> brian.utterback at oracle.com said:
>> Rather than rewrite every instance of calling ioctl to include a test  for
>> EINTR and loop to try again, I wrote a new function (isc_ioctl)  which is
>> simply a wrapper function around the regular ioctl call. This  wrapper
>> function incorporates such a test and loop. I used a "three  strikes and
>> you're out" rule, but any number could be used. Probably two  tries is
>> really enough, since the interrupt could come anytime after the  ioctl is
>> called the first time, but a second failure would imply that  the call is
>> taking more than one second to complete and it might never  complete without
>> an interrupt if that state is persistent.
> Where did one second come from?
>
> I could easily imagine a burst of failures caused by a burst of packets.  All
> it would take would be a nasty combination of router (say WiFi) that happened
> to get the timing just right to match a CPU with the right speed.

Correct, if you are using interrupt driven I/O, then this is true. I am
not sure that we always use interrupt driven I/O however. The one second
comes from the fact that we also have a once per second SIGALRM
interrupt going. This is probably less of a problem in the BIND distro
than the NTP distro.

--
blu

violent psychopath who knows where you live. - Martin Golding
Brian Utterback - Solaris RPE, Oracle Corporation.
Ph:603-262-3916, Em:brian.utterback at oracle.com