[ntp:hackers] hackers] hackers] hackers] Building NTP on Windows

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Mar 28 13:57:10 UTC 2013

From: Danny Mayer
[]
>From the command line prompt:

>c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\vcvarsall.bat

or where-ever your version of VS has it's vcvarsall.bat file to create
the required enviroment variables and then

>cd \ntp-dev-4.2.7p355\ports\winnt\vs2008
or whereever the build is and the VS specific ntp.sln is located

>msbuild ntp.sln

and you are done.

Danny
=======================================

Danny,

That is most helpful, but I have encountered a problem which stops this
working.  I /have/ been able to get all the files expanded and placed in the
correct directories automatically using the 7-zip file manager from the
command-line.  However, which I try the msbuild command, it is looking at a
VS2008 project, with VS2010 Express, and it needs to convert the project.  I
can do this in the GUI IDE, but the required command-line tool (deveng.exe)
is missing from VS2010 Express edition.  It /is/ in the full version of
Visual Studio.

I did try a manual conversion, and copying the resulting .SLN file into the
downloaded tree, but it seems that the project files need to be converted as
well as the .SLN file.

So I'm not quite sure where I can go from here.  As there are relatively few
files involved (perhaps a dozen files?), I wonder whether it might be
possible to get a VS2010 set added to the winnt port?  One solution file and
about 9 vcx project files?  I wonder whether that would then build on VS
2010 express?

What do you think?

Cheers,
David