[ntp:hackers] ITU and Leap second elimination

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.org
Thu Oct 3 21:29:51 UTC 2013

Warner Losh writes:
>>> No. Seconds are the same length in UTC and TAI.
>> Nowdays. 1961-1972 they could be different.
>
> Ntp didn't exist in that time period.

That is true, and folks still need to have a way to identify and
correlate events that use timestamps during that period.  And that's a
different discussion that goes to timestamps and timescales.

Soon http://nwtime.org/network-time-consortium/benefits/ will have more
information about its General Timestamp and API Library Consortium,
which will be an attempt to provide a more generally useful "timestamp"
structure, and also an API library to work with these timestamps.