[ntp:hackers] Simplifying NTPD

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Tue Jul 1 19:08:26 UTC 2014

In message <53B2EBA8.5030307 at ntp.org>, Danny Mayer writes:
>On 6/30/2014 10:58 AM, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

>We need to look at the overall design before making an architectural
>decision like that. The biggest problem with things like stdout is that
>a service has no standard output and you need to redirect it elsewhere.

We are not talking about an unrelated process, so forget about the
local environment of services: we are talking about a process
specifically fork+exec'ed from NTPD.

NTPD will set the stdout for the child process to point the right
place.

On UNIX, it is natural to use a pipe(2).

On platforms without pipe(2) any other byte stream which can be
mapped onto stdout can be used: UNIX sockets, TCP connections etc.

This is really not complicated at all -- that's the entire point.