[ntp:hackers] Simplifying NTPD

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.org
Fri Jun 27 20:27:57 UTC 2014

Terje Mathisen writes:
> Do you follow the work ESR is doing over in gpsd?
>
> He seems to have exactly the same target for refclocks, i.e. they belong
> inside gpsd which has years of accumulated experience in handling lots &
> lots of (more or less) gps-based references, and ntpd should get the
> steering information from gpsd.
>
> I.e. whatever you come up with _has_ to follow the same protocol as
> gpsd, which currently uses the shmem interface.

gpsd also uses and likes the chrony pipe interface.

And having said that, if we come up with a design that is clearly better
than the current SHM interface and the current chrony pipe interface, I
suspect that better API will be embraced.

I also know that ESR is probably almost as busy as I've been.  Not sure
about the the chrony folks, but I would be willing to bet they're not
spending much time "just having fun".